Friday, August 30, 2013

Taking Vows

I'm reading a book right now that speaks about Buddhist vows, but also vows in general that we take in our lives, like marriage vows, for example.

And I realize, there are not many vows that I've taken in my life. To be kind, to be good, to rescue dogs -- yes, all of those things I have strived for. But when it comes to distinct, actual vows, there have been very few.

I think it's time to change that. I think it's time to take vows that will give me peace, while also doing well for myself and all sentient beings.

1. As of October 1, I will quit smoking. It's bad for my health, it's a horrible example and it served a purpose at one time, but it doesn't anymore.

2. I am a gluten free (required) vegetarian (by choice), but I've only once taken a pledge to be vegan for 30 days. I did make it and I've never felt better in my life because I'm also casein intolerant. But it wasn't just about me. It was about me knowing that I was doing what was best for my body while at the same time doing what's best for our animal friends.

3. I vow to be a more patient person. With Meghan, with life, with Sean and in general.

4. I vow to spend at LEAST five minutes per day on my meditation cushion, with the goal of working up to more time.

5. Most importantly, I vow to let the past go. I've been hanging on to it like a ball and chain around my ankle that I've been dragging around for years. It's time.

I will be posting this on my altar at home to remind myself of these vows and do my best to keep them close to me at all times with the goal of eventually attaining them. There will be good days, and there will be bad. But every day is a new chance to start all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment