Thursday, September 9, 2010

2:43am

this is what time i get shaken awake by my girl.

shake. "psst. mama." shake. "are you awake?"

well, I am now!

so i ask her what's wrong and she says there's a noise in her room.

i go in there and hear nothing but her wall clock ticking.

i ask her if that's the noise she hears. no.

i listen intently, half asleep.

"you hear that, mama?"

what in the world is she talking about? i think she's dreaming or imagining things.

then i realize - she's talking about the croaking of the frogs outside.

i tell her it's just frogs and to go back to bed.

she says to me, "don't they know i'm trying to sleep?"

oh, she's so my girl. i just love her so much.

so i tuck her in and get her pink puppy to snuggle.

as she's falling back to sleep, she says sleepily, "mama, those can't be frogs...they aren't saying ribbit."

oh, my girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment